A wonderful experience awaits you on our lands
Tours, typical foods and much more
Montaione & surroundings
Montaione is a quaint, ancient village dating back to the middle age rich in art, history, culture and traditions; in the area we can find numerous archeological sites.
Montaione is located in the heart of the Tuscan countryside close to San Gimignano and Volterra, at approx. 40 min. driving distance far from Florence. Montaione is 373 above the sea level and it is surrounded by a stunning countryside filled with vineyards, olive groves and fields of sun flowers!
In Montaione centre you can visit:
- Palazzo Pretorio, S.Regolo’s church. Pievano’s arch and the panoramic view.
- June-September “Montaione Summer festival” with music, spectacles, bingo and typical markets along the streets.
- October-November: Typical food products’ market.
- In Montaione area you can visit: Cisterna Romana, S.Vivaldo, and the little villages of Iano, Tonda, Sughera and Castelfalfi.
Montaione typical products are: wine, extra-virgin olive-oil, truffle, bread, cheese, saffron.
In Montaione, just 4 km far away from S.Maria, there is a big supermarket Pam Express open every day of the week: Monday-Saturday 9 am-8pm and also on Sunday 9am-1 pm ; 4-8 pm.
There is a Bar, Grocery-store & Pizzeria at 400 metres far from Santa Maria Farmhouse, reachable on foot.
Suggested restaurants in Montaione
Montaione has a lot of high quality restaurants such as:
- Casa Masi (800 meters from us): smart, elegant restaurant for spending a romantic dinner maybe for a celebration.
- Il Lago (1,5 km from us): lovely restaurant beside a lake with great view and atmosphere.
- Il Caminetto (2 km): the best restaurant for having great food, such as Fiorentina Steak, in a very friendly atmosphere.
Tuscan flavours: typical food
- Truffle tasting (5 km). A unforgettable experience. 2 activities (long or short) searching the truffle in the wood guided by skill men and their dogs. After Truffle tasting in several ways: with honey, with bread, with sauce.
- Wine Tasting (10 km). In the wonderful Villa of Filicaja, on the hill of Montaione, you can have a delightful wine tasting experience guided by a skilled Sommelier. You will taste several kind of Chianti Doc wines in a friendly atmophere.
- Olive-oil tasting (12 km). Discover the production process of the authentic olive-oil and then taste it with some bread, the famous "Bruschetta".
- Cheese: Possibility of visiting a cheese farm where discovering the secrets of Tuscan cheese.
- Organic Farm: Close to Santa Maria there is Corazzano organic farm where finding great fruit and vegables organic only.
- Meat shop "Mattone Due" (4 km). The best meat, "Bistecca alla fiorentina" or "Cinta Senese" can be found in this family company. Great place fr buyong the meat for the barbecue.
- Cooking class: Cooking class of 2 hours and half to prepare a rich, typical Tuscan men and discover your cooking skills. Finally a dinner with the dishes prepared by the partecipants.
Facilities in Montaione and surroundings
- Horse Riding (4 km). Skill riders will guide you along path in the nature. All horses are "Quarter".
- Trekking in Montaione. By bikes or on foot you can visit 6 tracks in the nature by map and descriptions.
- Scooter and bikes rental. Booking in advance is possible to receive bikes and scooter directly at your door.
- Castelfalfi Golf Courses (Castelfalfi 12 km). One of the most beautiful golf cours (18 holes) in the evocative atmophere of Castelfalfi.
- Pic-nic: the area offers lot of nice places for pic-nic! We can organize your basket and provide with bikes or Italian vespa.
Art & crafts
- Artistic terracotte (2 km). Grant a walking from us by Vallibonci, where you can find an artist’s workshop.
- Outlet "Tuscans" (18 km). Outlet factory, leather, bags and more in a top quality where finding the real “Made in Italy”.
- Outlet "The mall" 50 km. The best famous outlet where you can find the most important brand as Gucci, Prada, Versace, Armani, Tods an many other.
Our region offers numerous places of interest like Florence, Siena, Lucca, Pisa as well as charming medieval villages. Here some suggestions:
- Montaione & S.Vivaldo cloister: The historical “Palazzo pretorio” in the center of Montaione, the Roman Cistern, the cloiser or San Vivaldo and the “Jerusalem of San Vivaldo”: dozen of little churches called “Italian Gerusalem” which represent a reproduction of Gerusalem during Cristo’s life. 5km far from Santa Maria Farmhouse.
- Certaldo: It is a medieval village where the world famous writer Boccaccio was born. You must visit the church of S.Michele & Jacopo and the “Palazzo Pretorio” (in summer there are special events like classical music concerts). In July you can’t miss “Mercantia”, a theatre festival.
- San Gimignano: San Gimignano is “the village of the towers”; it had once 72 towers!! Nowadays there are approx. 20 towers still visible coming from the surroundings. Driving toward San Gimignano you will see these towers arising from the countryside. You must visit: the historical center, the “Collegiata” or Duomo, Palazzo del Popolo, Piazza del Duomo (approx. 18 km far from Santa Maria Holidays Home). You can visit San Gimignano in half a day.
- Castelfiorentino: S.Verdiana’s Church with gallery displaying works of Duccio, Gaddi, Granacci (10 km half a day).
- Vinci: Leonardo, the most famous Tuscan artist in the world, was born here. You must see the Museo Leonardiano, (Castello dei Guidi) and the house of the maestro (35 km, half a day).
- Volterra: Marvellous Etruscan village, Volterra is located on the Valdelsa hills. You must visit: the historical center where buying delightful alabaster objects, the Baptistere, the Dome, Priori’s Palace and the Minacci-Solaini Palace (30 km, half a day).
- San Miniato: Gorgeous village close to Pisa. You must visit: “la Rocca” (medieval tower), piazza del popolo and the Dome. (12 km, half a day).
- Gambassi Terme: Small medieval town where there is a Spa Centre “Villa Pillo” famous for its thermal-water. The village is famous also for centenary tradition of glass production. (9 km, half a day).
- Montelupo Fiorentino: Capital of ceramics and Terracotta. (25 km, half a day).
- Cerreto Guidi: It’s worth visiting the magnificent reinassance Villa of Cosimo dei Medici where Isabella died. (25 km half day).
- Montespertoli: The city of wine. In July there is a great wine party. You must visit the Church of S.Andrea, Poppiano castle, Montegufoni Castle, the “Pieve di S.Pietro in Mercato”, and the Botinaccio’s castle. ( 25 km, 1 day).
Pinocchio’s Park in Pescia, S.Galgano ‘s church Montalcino, Pienza, Cortona, Lucca, Torre del Lago, di Forte dei Marmi ‘s fashion market, Carrara ‘s mable quarry, Colonnata, Castiglioncello, Bolgheri, Castagneto Carducci, Palaia, Peccioli, Casole d’Elsa, Arezzo, Spa of Petriolo, Bagno Vignoni, the “Cinque Terre” (2 kms far from Santa Maria Farmhouse) and more and more.